Sunday, July 31, 2011

Stocking Up

With Ramadan approaching (Tuesday), we are scrambling to try and furnish/stock up the new apartment. Yesterday, we decided to make a day trip into Marrakech for some shopping. There is a store called Marjane, which is kind of like a Moroccan Walmart and, for Americans, it's our link to some staples from home (i.e. peanut butter). Needless to say, it was quite an event.

In moving to our new apartment, we have moved further away from our taxi "stand" (as you might remember from the Market to Market post, our taxi stand is really just a particular stretch of road where we flag a cab as it speeds by). So our lovely 3 km walk has lengthened to more like a 5 km walk. Good thing we'll be getting our bikes this week (inchallah)!

Since we new we'd be (hopefully) stocking up on a lot of things, we decided to bring our camping packs to carry everything in. What a way to flag ourselves as foreigners! Anyways, we caught a van from the taxi stand into Ait Ourir, where we were just in time to catch the 6 MAD (Moroccan Dirham) bus into Marrakech. Another 40 MAD cab ride and we were standing at the gates of Marjane. First order of business? McDonalds. Yes, we know, not the healthiest way to treat our bodies, but if you're living on veggies and noodles, eventually you want a giant cheeseburger and air conditioning! By the way, a soda with ICE in it is almost as heavenly as the first time eating Pop Rocks.

We eventually made our way through the aisles with our shopping cart, checklist in hand, and found treasures like peanut butter, hot sauce, granola, and even a vegetable peeler (quick note: the women I've observed in the kitchen just use knives to shave the skins off of vegetables). It was an exciting, successful trip. We even got a few smiles from people watching us pack our bags at the checkout line (most shoppers appeared to have come via car, not bus). Now for the trek home: Another cab, another bus, another cab, another 5 km walk. It was dark by the time we got home, and our feet and backs were sore from the walk and the loads we were carrying, but it was worth all the trouble. Last night was the first night we were able to sleep with our brand new, very own pillows!

Our happily stocked cabinet!





2 comments:

  1. Hopefully, you will receive the box that I just sent you and add to your pantry! Wish that I could send you a soft mattress as well. Maybe you will acquire one before we visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, don't feel guilty about the McDonalds. I totally ate at fast food restaurants in Korea when I wanted a little taste of home. Burger King was my favorite. However, I can happily say I haven't eaten there since I got back. :)

    ReplyDelete